Friday 4 December 2009

Atalanta


This is Atalanta, or more accurately was. She was my brown house snake (or African house snake), a small breed of colubrids from pretty much all across Africa. Males tend to grow to 3 feet long, females sometimes over 5 feet. I think Atalanta was about 4 and a half feet when she was fully grown. They are a docile breed, taking well to being handled. Atalanta never bit me, not even when sloughing (when snakes are notoriously temperamental) and only bit my dad the once :)

Atalanta was between 15 and 20 years old when we had to have her put to sleep last year. I had her for almost 10 years myself. She was winding down, had little interest in feeding and was unable to slough her skin properly. It was very tough letting her go. Many people find it difficult to understand how I had become so attached to a snake, but she was really part of the family.

I often think of getting another snake. They are fascinating animals, very calming and easy to keep. But Atalanta was one in a million and I think I'd be hard pressed to find another snake with her good nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment